Things I love (and hate) about being a working mum

I’ve now been back at work after maternity leave for 5 months. I was lucky enough to take 12 months of maternity leave (actually 13 if you include annual leave), so I was a bit apprehensive about going back. I negotiated going part-time and now work 4 days a week, which I’ve found is a pretty good balance for me.

There have been some challenges along the way, but here are the things I love (and a couple of things I hate) about being a working mum.

Things I love about being a working mum

1. Me time. One of the best things about going back to work has been having a bit of me time. I get to eat my lunch in peace. I can drink hot tea. I can go to the loo without a companion. I even get time to listen to podcasts on my way to work. I read the news so I know what’s going on in the world! It’s brilliant.
  2. Using my brain. As much as I love spending time with Jacob, I did feel like I needed something else to do while on maternity leave. That’s why I started this blog. I needed an outlet and wanted to learn something new. Now I’m back at work I can feel my brain cells starting to wake up a bit!
  3. Not being covered in snot. Self-explanatory really.
  4. Appreciating it when I’m at home. Being at home all the time is hard. Much harder than being at work. Toddlers can be pretty difficult. I was reminded of this over Christmas when I spent 12 days in a row with Jacob. It can all get a bit relentless, so it’s nice to have a bit of a break from it at work. I then really enjoy my day off with him. I salute you stay at home mums. I don’t think I could do it.
  5. Adult conversation. “Bubbles, bubbles, BUBBLES!”. That’s the extent of the conversation I get at home at the moment. It’s nice to chat to other adults at work.
  6. Money. Ok, so the part-time salary isn’t the best. Especially when you add in the cost of childcare. Although we are lucky that we only pay for 2 days a week. But my theory is that by going back to work, I should (hopefully) manage to earn more later on than I would if I’d stayed at home and gone back to work in a few years. I also feel more secure knowing that we have two incomes, just in case one of us got made redundant or ill.
  7. Eating a whole meal to myself. At home I always have a toddler trying to eat half of it.

Things I hate about being a working mum

1. FOMO. I get major fear of missing out. I worry that I’m missing important moments in Jacob’s development. Deep down I do know that he loves nursery and spending time with his grandparents. I think nursery has been really good for him.
  2. Playing catch up. I’m always behind on something, whether that’s the never-ending washing pile, buying food or life admin. My New Years resolution was to get more organised. It hasn’t happened yet!
Bridie By The Sea
Mum Muddling Through
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. January 16, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Dare I say it, but you’ve almost got the balance there! I worked when my eldest was little and stopped when number 2 came along. I do work again now, but I really missed work in those in between years. Good for you for making it work #dreamteam

2. January 18, 2018 / 7:53 am

Lovely positive post and I’m sure it will be a helpful and uplifting read for many mums going back to work soon after mat leave #coolmumclub

3. January 18, 2018 / 9:14 am

I totally agree! I have to admit to enjoying the relative peace at work and having a whole hour to eat lunch, with both hands!!! I do get FOMO attacks, but I know she’s having a great time at nursery/nanna’s and ultimately, this is the best solution for our family #CoolMumClub

4. January 18, 2018 / 8:11 pm

Ah it sounds as though you are loving it – I remember feeling like I’d struck gold when I returned to part time work after my first. It’s certainly not all bad being out of Mum mode for a bit!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

5. thesingleswan
    January 20, 2018 / 10:50 pm

Ah yes, spot on. FOMO on Cygnet’s developments is my biggest thing. I like having the ‘me time’ and a sense of achievement at work though. The money is critical too. Pen x #KCACOLS

6. January 21, 2018 / 8:12 am

It’s good to see that your positives on this post way outweigh the negatives. I’ve been back in work full time for nine months now and I love it. I do really miss seeing some of Dex’s developments but I always have a full day off during the week and I make the most of every minute! I hope you continue to enjoy it too

#KCACOLS

7. January 21, 2018 / 10:44 am

That’s a lovely post about being a working Mum because it’s mostly positive. I’m a teacher so the workload out of work is a lot and, although I’m currently on mat leave till
    Nov, I’m wondering what the future will hold for me after it. I don’t think I can do both… #KCACOLS

January 21, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Is there any way you could work part time? It must be tough. I’m lucky because mostly I don’t have to work outside of work. Thanks for reading!

8. January 21, 2018 / 4:44 pm

I love being a working mum. As crazy as it sounds when I’m at work, there is less for me to think about and I am generally more relaxed than being at home and doing all the things that come with being a single mum. Sounds like you are really seeing the positives too! #kcacols

9. January 21, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I’m a working mum too and I had three weeks off as I’m the second parent and even then it was tough to leave him. I can’t imagine how hard it must be after thirteen months. #kcacols

10. January 22, 2018 / 9:19 pm

I love working part time too and I feel like it gives me the best of both worlds. Although there is that danger that we try to take on the workload of both roles on a full-time basis, just squished into part time hours (which I know I’m guilty of!). I love the balance that you’ve found. Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

11. January 23, 2018 / 10:08 am

I’m a work-and-stay-at-home mum so sit somewhere in the middle of this – it’s all such a juggle! #coolmumclub

12. January 23, 2018 / 12:38 pm

I’ve just gone back to work and my little one is 11 months old, not full time yet but I needed to read this but I have immense FOMO too! My heart feels like it jumps every time I leave home #DreamTeam

Soffy // themumaffairs.blogspot.com

13. January 24, 2018 / 2:24 pm

This is a lovely post 🙂 It’s great that you have a great balance between work and home. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time 🙂

14. January 24, 2018 / 2:43 pm

Sounds like you’ve found the set up that works just right for you and your family! I think feeling like you’re playing catch-up is just part of being a parent though, whether you go out to work or stay at home there is always so much to juggle and keep track of! x #KCACOLS

15. January 25, 2018 / 11:22 am

Yep agree with all of these, I have major FOMO when it comes to my two. #KCACOLS

16. January 26, 2018 / 12:24 am

Oh how I feel ya! Working part time would be wonderful. I’m a full timer and have major FOMO all the time. Great post. xoxo #dreamteam xoxo

17. January 28, 2018 / 2:02 pm

I would hate to be working when my kids are little and missing out on the big milestones. so I worked from home. At the moment I work from home, but my kids are all in school now. The one thing I am glad of now, is being able to go to the toilet by myself and drinking a cup of tea in peace. #KCACOLS

18. January 31, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Ah! I work from home, but only have one day where I have no kids all day! I feel like a proper working mum that day haha. #KCACOLS

19. February 1, 2018 / 4:35 pm

Totally agree with you on these! i work part time and feel the same, although my kids aren’t babies so on my days off I’m still without kids, they’re all at school hehe! I do like my colleagues and getting dressed up for work but equally I think I could work from home in my pj’s! Sometimes the grass is always greener though isn;t it? x #kcacols

20. February 1, 2018 / 6:30 pm

I’ve been back at work for 6 months after baby number three so can relate to all of these! #KCACOLS

21. February 2, 2018 / 7:46 am

Like you I liked the fact that I was using my brain and my me time. Bless! I could go to the loo on my own!!! But playing catch up all time and always feeling guilty to work at home while I should have been with my little one… It is not easy to go back to work but I can understand why some mums want to preserve their job #KCACOLS