My 5 favourite breastfeeding products

There’s not much you need to buy if you plan to breastfeed your baby. The basic equipment is obviously already there! But in the early days there are a few breastfeeding products that I found made my life a bit easier and more comfortable.

My 5 favourite breastfeeding products

Lansinoh HPA nipple cream

This cream was a lifesaver for me. It’s a little pricey at £10.49 for quite a small tube, but it will be the best tenner you ever spend. And it lasts for ages—I actually still have two half tubes left. I had some nipple damage from a bad latch in the first week of feeding and this really helped it heal and prevented any more happening. After the first 6-8 weeks I didn’t really need it every day, but it was occasionally useful again if Jacob started feeding frequently during a growth spurt. It’s also a great lip balm!

Medela Swing breast pump

I previously wrote a more detailed blog post on the medela swing breast pump. There are loads of breast pumps on the market. Some are cheaper, but I do think this is one thing it’s not worth scrimping on. I’m usually all for saving money, but breast pumping is time-consuming and the last thing you want to do it spend more time doing it because you wanted to save a few quid. It’s just not worth it.

If you aren’t sure whether you’ll need one before birth, don’t buy one. You can always do next day delivery on one after the baby is born if you are desperate. Although, having said that, I did use mine a lot in the first year.

Lansinoh Therapearl

The Lansinoh Therapearl 3 in 1 breast therapy was a lifesaver when my milk first came in and I had engorgement. I’d frozen them in advance and the relief when I put them on was amazing. They can also be heated in the microwave for relief from mastitis and blocked ducts, and can also be used when pumping to warm the breast and increase milk flow. I didn’t need to use them often, but when I did need them they were brilliant. I’ve also used them since as a first aid item as a cold compress! Multi-use!

Nursing bra

Not everyone agrees with this, and I know lots of people just fold down their normal bras, but—particularly at first—I found a nursing bra so much more convenient. The last thing you want when you are trying to get the baby to latch correctly is to have to fuss around with your bra. Hot Milk have a great selection of pretty and comfortable bras.

Breast pads

These Lansinoh breast pads are the best ones I found. I tried various brands, supermarket cheap ones and these, and although they were more expensive, they didn’t soak through like others. Definitely worth splashing out on.

*This post contains some affiliate links. I receive a small amount of commission for purchases made through them, but this doesn’t cost you any more.

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
3 Little Buttons

1. October 3, 2017 / 8:00 am

Thanks for the tips, agree with them all! Nursing bras and shirts are a life saver! Breast is best!! Im one year going strong.. we’ll see though.. teethy pegs coming threw! #dreamteam

October 3, 2017 / 6:31 pm

Well done on lasting a year! Thanks for commenting 🙂

2. Something About Baby
    October 3, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Agree with all of these! I’ve not actually used the Therapearl before but heard good things so I think I’ll get some this time round in case I need them! #DreamTeam

October 3, 2017 / 6:32 pm

They really helped me when my milk came in. I also heard they are great if you get mastitis. I’ve never needed them for that, but it’s good to know! Thanks for reading

3. October 5, 2017 / 5:51 am

The Lansinoh cream was a life saver for me. I wish I’d known about the therapeal at the time, I definitely could have done with that. Great tips.
    Thanks so much for linking up with #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time x

4. October 5, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I was a terrible breastfeeder, but even I can appreciate the likes of Lanisoh! Life saver! I think this is a really helpful post for anyone looking to breastfeed, thank you for sharing it with #DreamTeam!

5. October 6, 2017 / 7:08 pm

The Therapearl is the only one I haven’t used. Lansinoh cream is amazing and I will be getting some in for when baby 2 is due in December. The swing pump is pricey but the best #KCACOLS

6. October 8, 2017 / 8:14 am

Awww. My mummy misses breastfeeding with me 🙁 sure it was a faff the majority of the time but she misses the closeness and quiet time. Great suggestions and we totally agree with the barrier cream. Sorry for our super late comment on #DreamTeam

7. October 8, 2017 / 2:31 pm

I’ve heard really great things about the nipple cream and pump! Both my children were bottle fed but when my daughter was born I fed at night for a week or two and my hand pump was terrible! Totally put me off doing it anymore! #KCACOLS

8. October 11, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Agree with all. The Nipple cream was a life saver!! I got so sore but the cream helped so much. #KCACOLS

9. October 12, 2017 / 12:11 pm

Lansinoh was a life saver for me when I had my babies, it helped so much and I still use the cream now but on the kids when they are chapped, etc! #kcacols

10. October 13, 2017 / 7:28 pm

We had the swing pump. It’s great. And breast pads too. Though now we have left overs that my son keeps finding and throwing down the stairs. #kcacols

11. October 14, 2017 / 10:08 am

I couldn’t live without my double Medela Swing – I love it! #KCACOLS

12. October 21, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Great recommendations – I used washable pads because the disposable ones drove me nutty and also I would have to include nipple shields and Jelonet dressing that literally got me to through the horrific cracked nipples, without these two products I wouldn’t have been able to continue. All three kids had bad latches and it was literally a stage I had to go through with each of them! Catching up from #KCACOLS