Breastfeeding—the 10 month update

Jacob is 10 months old! That has gone so fast. There’s not a lot to report this month. No real change from last month. In fact, I wasn’t even sure I was going to write this post, so little has happened. But I thought it might be a good opportunity to reflect and hopefully provide some reassurance to those mums who are just starting out with breastfeeding new babies.

I didn’t take any breastfeeding photos this month, so here’s a cute 10-month-old Jacob playing photo!

Breastfeeding twice per day

I’m still feeding twice per day. Once first thing in the morning and once before bed. Jacob has a bottle in the afternoon. He still loves being breastfed, but is definitely getting more wriggly and paying less attention. Even when he’s lying down quietly first thing in the morning. I’m starting to wonder if that means it’s coming to an end or my supply is reducing. I’d like to make it to a year, but if that doesn’t happen it’ll be fine. I’m only really upset that stopping means I’d have to get out of bed and make a bottle in the morning! So I’m resisting for now. But we’ll see how it goes.

It’s definitely still good for comforting him if he’s ill or upset, but I don’t feel like he gets any other particular benefit from breastfeeding now.

Proof it does get easier

I think the fact it’s been so uneventful this month just shows how much easier breastfeeding gets over time. It’s so hard to believe when you start out. But for the last few months it has been so easy.

When I started breastfeeding I was taking it on a day by day basis. Telling myself if I can just do one more day, that will be great. As it got easier I started extending it to one more week at a time, with the aim of getting to 6 months. I really never expected to make it to 10 months. People always say this, but it really did get easier quickly. If it doesn’t, then definitely ask for help. I’ve mentioned this before, but I highly recommend going to a Baby Cafe.

Ultimately, you have to do what’s right for you and your baby. Breastfeeding worked out for me, but he’d have been equally fine with formula if I’d stopped.

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. June 28, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Well done you! My 9 month old is still going. Night and during the night – so twice a day. She’s not fussed during the day so has water and snacks. I hope to get to a year. You are right – it does get easier. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

2. Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
    June 29, 2017 / 9:24 pm

All 3 of mine have combined bottle and breast. My youngest stopped breastfeeding last month and I am so sad that it is all over 🙁 #bestandworst

3. July 1, 2017 / 9:35 am

Well done for being able to breastfeed for so long. #bestandworst

4. July 1, 2017 / 9:45 am

Well done for breastfeeding them this far. #bestandworst

5. susanadairyams
    July 4, 2017 / 2:28 pm

This age is such a great age for development that the wriggling and not being as relaxed when feeding is just down to him wanting to explore the world. There is no reason that you won’t make it to a year, and maybe even beyond! I only planned on breastfeeding until she was 6 weeks old. She will get 3 in September and I don’t imagine she will stop any time Soon! #KCACOLS

6. July 8, 2017 / 10:17 pm

What a happy little boy! I bottle fed in the end but I’m sure your monthly breastfeeding updates will be really helpful for any new mums who are breastfeeding. It’s good to know it gets easier! #kcacols

7. Mainy - myrealfairy
    July 11, 2017 / 3:02 pm

Well done and it’s good to read how well it’s going. It can have its ups and downs and it’s just great if baby is happy, lovely post:) Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time
    Mainy

8. queerlittlefamily
    July 11, 2017 / 7:58 pm

If definitely gets easier – my wife would agree with that. Especially when they just wean themselves! #kcacols

9. July 13, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Good for you,, I never breastfed but I can appreciate the effort #KCACOLS

10. July 14, 2017 / 3:52 pm

It’s fantastic that you’ve been able to breastfeed for so long.#KCACOLS