Breastfeeding—the 7 month update

Seven months, wow, that’s gone fast. Following on from last month’s update, I’m still breastfeeding on a schedule. It seems to be working pretty well, and I’m definitely happy to continue a bit longer. Like I said last month, I think the improved sleep has really changed my attitude to breastfeeding! Plus, I’ve realised how much easier breastfeeding is now. I’m doing one bottle feed a day, and washing and sterilising one bottle is all I can cope with.

Breastfeeding

Feeding a lot less

Now Jacob is eating 3 meals a day, it seems like he’s having a lot less milk. I’m still offering at the same times (6/7am, 11am, 2pm and 6pm), but—particularly in the middle of the day—sometimes he’s really not interested and latches on for less than 2 minutes. He feeds really well at the first feed of the day, but other than that he can take it or leave it.

My health visitor friend said that’s fine. Some babies drop milk feeds quicker than others. I’m going to make a point of getting him weighed though, just to make sure he’s getting enough milk and food.

It’s funny, you spend the first few months of breastfeeding worrying if they are getting enough. Now I’m back to it again!

Giving a bottle of formula

I’ve now stopped expressing for the 10pm feed. I was finding it a bit too tiring/time-consuming/plain annoying. I figured a bottle of formula would make my life a lot easier, and he drinks the whole thing like a champ! It’s a far cry from our earlier bottle refusing problems. If you are struggling to get your breastfed baby to take a bottle, I really recommend trying one at about 10pm, when they are sleepy. That’s how we cracked it.

After trying several bottles, we are using the Munchkin Latch bottle. It took a lot of trial and error but Jacob seems happiest with this bottle. It could just be coincidence that he started accepting a bottle when we tried them, but I’m not going to risk going back now.

A new aim

We’ve booked a holiday for mid-May, so that’s my new breastfeeding aim. I’d like to be able to breastfeed on the plane if he gets cranky, as it’s a good way of calming him down. He’ll be 9 months. I think it should be achievable, but breastfeeding is quite unpredictable, so we’ll see.  Either way, I’m pretty happy to have made it this far.

*Post contains an affiliate link

Pink Pear Bear
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Best of Worst
Mummuddlingthrough

1. March 20, 2017 / 10:31 am

I remember having similar aims with mine. A holiday on the horizon was always a great reason to keep at it. Well done. Sounds like it’s a positive experience for you. #bigpinklink

2. March 20, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Well done, mama! I have been feeding my little boy for 16 months so far and we both still love it. I, too, found expressing a drag and don’t even get me started on sterilising. It’s all about finding what works for you as time goes on. Hope you have a lovely holiday! #bigpinklink

3. March 20, 2017 / 1:17 pm

It’s fantastic you have got to seven months of breastfeeding! What a champ. It is usual for him them to start dropping a few of those afternoon feeds. Dex is 10m now and they’ve both disappeared. He’s only having milk of a morning, before bed and at 11pm. It’s a shame we couldn’t keep the afternoon feed and drop the 11pm one!!

#KCACOLS

4. agentspitback
    March 21, 2017 / 11:11 am

Good on you for coming this far! My #1 never took to a bottle and he went straight to a sippy cup. I used to breastfeed all my kids on the plane – it definitely helps soothe them. Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink

5. March 22, 2017 / 9:30 am

I breastfed my first until 9 months when she self weaned as a result of me being back at work and also having 3 meals a day. Its definitely far easier so hope you manage to keep going until your holiday!! #bestandworst x

6. Something About Baby
    March 22, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Well done for getting so far with breastfeeding. I always demand fed as I found that easiest for us, but it’s good to hear that feeding to a schedule is helpful for you. Good luck with the rest of your journey and I hope you manage to feed for as long as you want to #bestandworst

7. March 22, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Well done to both of you for making it this far! Hope you make to your holiday and have a wonderful time

8. March 23, 2017 / 4:17 pm

I think that trying a bottle for the 10pm feed sounds like a brilliant idea. We really struggled to get ours onto a bottle and I wish we’d thought to try that! It sounds as though you’re both enjoying a great breastfeeding journey x #coolmumclub

9. March 23, 2017 / 8:43 pm

That’s the lovely thing about breastfeeding – you can set your own goals, milestones and deadlines, and surprise yourself if you meet them or bring them in. You’re the boss!
    Thanks so much for sharing with #coolmumclub

10. March 26, 2017 / 9:19 am

This was a reassuring post Hun even for a second time Mum! My girly is 6 months and eating 3 meals. She is feeding at similar times to Jacob and once in the night so this is good! We on hol in may too! Have a fab time. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

11. March 31, 2017 / 11:44 am

Well done! Both of my children were bottle fed which worked really well for us but my cousin is breastfeeding her boy who’s a month younger than mine (9 months) and they’ve just had one difficulty after another! Have a lovely holiday 🙂
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

12. April 1, 2017 / 9:59 am

Well done for getting to 7 months and still breastfeeding! I struggled to breastfeed mine and hated sterilising bottles! #KCACOLS