5 things I didn’t expect about parenthood

Parenthood. It’s full of surprises—good and bad. I’ve now been a parent for 6 whole months and these are the main things I hadn’t expected.

5 things I didn't expect about perenthood

5 things I didn’t expect about parenthood:

1. How tiring it would be

By tiring, I don’t just mean physically tiring. Although the physical tiredness is phenomenal. Sometimes I feel like one of those cartoon characters who puts match sticks under their eyelids to keep them open. Parenting is also ridiculously mentally tiring. There’s nothing more draining than a grizzly baby who seemingly has nothing wrong. And being stuck in the house all day with a sick baby and no other company can be hard.

2. How guilty you’d feel about everything

#mumguilt. There is literally not a single thing I haven’t felt guilty about at some point. Some of it slightly valid (when he learnt to roll off the sofa—I definitely shouldn’t have risked leaving him there), some of it definitely not so (for example the irrational guilt I feel about his eczema). If you told me before I had Jacob, I wouldn’t believe it was possible to feel so guilty about so many things.

3. How much stuff babies have

Before the baby was born, I was determined the whole house wouldn’t be taken over by baby stuff. How can a small person need that much stuff anyway? Ha. It now looks like Mothercare vomited in my house. We have piles and piles of outgrown baby clothes to sort. And don’t get me started on the monstrosity that is the Jumperoo, taking over half the living room (although it is AMAZING for keeping him entertained).

4. How quickly time goes

I can’t believe how fast the first 6 months have gone. Everyone tells you it will go fast, but somehow you don’t believe them. Jacob isn’t a little baby anymore. He’s a big, robust, almost-crawling, little boy.

5. How worth it everything is

Being a parent is so hard, but so worth it. I hadn’t really grasped how much I’d love my baby before he was born. Despite everything, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

What things surprised you about being a parent?

MaternityMondays
This Mum's Life

1. February 13, 2017 / 11:28 am

Completely agree. How much stuff babies have is insane! As a mummy of five I literally had no idea where everything comes from, or how much worry these babies would bring!! #bigpinklink

2. February 13, 2017 / 7:22 pm

aww I agree with all of the above. The tome going fast is much faster with number 2 and I can’t help think number 3 will Come out walking with teeth. I can hope about the teeth right?!! 😉 #MaternityMondays

3. February 14, 2017 / 7:08 am

Totally agree with all of these. But especially how fast it all goes. It feels like two minutes since my youngest was born and he’s 8 in April!
    #Bigpinklink

4. thismumslife
    February 14, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Aaah, yes to all of it!! Mine are 4 and 3, and I think I’m even more tired than when they were babies…! And the guilt-you really do wonder don’t you, how it can be possible to feel so guilty about absolutely everything… The amount of stuff is incredible, but we went away recently, and for the first time didn’t need to take travel cots/bed rails/extra mattresses/portable high chair/steriliser (the list is endless,) and I was quite satisfied, just packing a small bag for us, and a small bag for the children! So that bit gets easier, but I’m not sure about the rest…!
    #bigpinklink

5. February 16, 2017 / 9:02 am

Yes, yes, yes – I am totally with you on all of this! It is my other half’s first time around (my second) and I think I need to show him your post! #MaternityMondays

6. April 25, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Sometimes it feels as if there can be no greater responsibilities. We just want to do our best and we don’t always know how to do that. And yet this worry and guilt is so not good for our children. And we know this even as we worry.

The more we worry, the more anxious we make our children, and the worse decisions we all make. The calmer we are, the calmer our children will be and the better decisions we all make. It’s such a simple formula for parenthood, but oh so much easier in theory than in practice.