Things you don’t expect about having a baby: Postpartum hair loss

As if there weren’t enough shocks to cope with when having a baby, nature throws one more at you—postpartum hair loss.

My hair loss started at about 12 weeks after Jacob was born and it’s still going on now (24 weeks postpartum). I first noticed that my brush was covered in hair, which I thought was odd because I’d cleared it out two days before. Then I started to notice that the plug hole was blocking when I showered. Finally, I started to find hair everywhere. All over my clothes. All over the baby. All over the floor. I became alarmed. How was it possible that I had any hair left? Was the whole lot going to fall out?

Postpartum hair loss is common

A quick Google later and I’d discovered that hair loss is incredibly common—and normal—after having a baby. Apparently, during pregnancy the normal hair growth cycle is disrupted. The increased estrogen causes less hair to fall out—which is why pregnant women tend to have thicker hair (part of the mythical ‘pregnancy glow’—I already have pretty thick hair so this wasn’t the blessing it’s made out to be). Once you’ve given birth the estrogen levels go back down to normal, so the hair cycle goes back to normal and all the hair that didn’t fall out during pregnancy starts to fall out in one go.

I then started asking around other friends with babies. It happened to all of them too. One even had to get a fringe to hide all the regrowth at the front of her hair!

So what can we do about postpartum hair loss?

Some websites recommend using a thickening shampoo and condition to improve the appearance of the hair you do have. Others recommend being gentle with your hair to prevent any extra shedding, so things like avoiding blow drying your hair or using straighteners. You can take a postpartum supplement to make sure the hair loss isn’t being exacerbated by nutritional deficiencies, but this is unlikely. I guess it’s worth a go if it makes you feel better to be doing something though. The overwhelming consensus is that it’s a natural phenomenon and we just have to put up with it.

According to my research, hair should go back to normal between 6 and 12 months after giving birth. I’ll let you know once mine goes back to normal!

Did you have postpartum hair loss? How long did it take for your hair to recover its former glory?

ethannevelyn.com
MaternityMondays

1. January 27, 2017 / 11:09 am

Hi, Great post! I think my hair went back to normal within a couple of months of having my twins. Our bodies go through a lot in producing babies don’t they!! x #FabFridayPost

2. January 27, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I don’t remember this happening with my first daughter, but definitely my second! I was like, “What in the world is going on?!” Like you, I have pretty thick hair so it wasn’t that big of a deal, but it was kind of alarming by just how MUCH was EVERYWHERE. I can’t remember when mine went back to normal, but it only lasted 2 or 3 months. 🙂 Stopping by from the #fabfridaypost.

3. January 30, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Yep, it happens to me too and I am still dealing with it. My kids are now almost 6 & almost 3 years old and I am still loosing my hair. Everyday… I don’t think it will ever get back to normal with me – the thing is I always have this hair loss dilemma even pre-baby. :'(

Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

4. January 30, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Ugh this is the worst thing. I don’t think mine ever recovered in 18 months with G and then I got pregnant again. I found regular cuts and a change in shampoo and conditioner regularly helped but I am not looking forward to it this time-especially as my hair never quite recovered. Thank you for linking up #MaternityMondays

5. January 30, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Oh my, the malting!!! I have only just stopped finding hair everywhere, including on the baby like you say! What worked for me, believe it or not, was asking the hairdresser to thin out my hair a bit – I think that helped stop it shedding and I’m now in the ‘regrowth’ stage, particularly frustrating as it gives my little six month old something to grab hold of and pull! #MaternityMondays

6. January 31, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Oh yes I know about this all too well. After my first was born in swear my hair did the stop falling out until I got pregnant again (when he was 2 and a half!) Now 14weeks after baby Number 2 and I’m considering in investing in a wig xx #maternitymondays

January 31, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Oh no! I was really hoping it would stop soon. If I have to wait another 2 years I’ll definitely have none left! Thanks for reading!

7. January 31, 2017 / 10:04 pm

I can kind of remember this happening to me last time – although, like you I have thick hair anyway. Thank you for the reminder – and the advice 🙂 #MaternityMondays

8. February 2, 2017 / 8:39 am

I lost so much after having my third, I honestly was worried I would lose the lot. The doctor asked me if I’d changed shampoo and conditioner :/ Really!?
    It’s not so bad now but it feels like a lot because it’s long a suppose.

9. February 5, 2017 / 9:42 pm

This alarmed me when I had my first. I had my hairdresser check my hair for bald spots because so much was coming out. I think it lasted until about baby was about 8 months. This time round I was expecting it but it comes out in such a mass it is still a little alarming. Hopefully it’ll stop soon enough!

I do pre-warn my first time mummy friends now so they don’t panic!

February 9, 2017 / 10:38 pm

It is so alarming! Urgh I hope I don’t still have another 2 months of hair loss! I’m almost at 6 months now. Thanks for reading!