My new mum survival tips

Having a newborn is hard work. Those early days are exhausting and overwhelming, and once your partner goes back to work after paternity leave you are left alone and it’s all down to you. Here are my top tips for surviving the first couple of months as a mum.

One handed snacks for new mums

Eating well is important when you have a newborn. Apples are a great one-handed snack.

1. Nap. I know, I know. Easier said than done. You have a million things to do, the house is a tip, the washing is overflowing. But seriously, in the very early days try to nap. It really helps. After all, you are recovering from a physical event and your body needs sleep to heal.
  2. Get out of the house every day (once you can manage it). Even if it’s just for a stroll round the block or to the shop to buy some milk. I usually do this every day—even if it’s raining—and it makes me feel 100% better to leave the house and get some fresh air. It’s even better if you can find a baby group to go to. Chatting to other people going through the same things is invaluable and you can get some great advice from mums who are a few months ahead of you.
  3. Eat well. As tempting as it is to live on cake and biscuits, this will make you feel like absolute rubbish. It’s hard when you have a baby to care for, but grapes or apples to snack on are just as easy to eat as biscuits (you only need one hand to eat them!) and you will feel 100% better for it. I still have cakes and biscuits, I just don’t only eat them! If you are breastfeeding, it’s also really important to drink enough water. Make sure you fill up a glass before starting a feeding session. I had cooked a few healthy meals for the freezer before the baby was born and these were so helpful once my husband was back at work—cooking from scratch in the very early days was nearly impossible with a baby who hated to be put down—and it meant we didn’t turn to takeaways too often.
  4. Ask for/accept help. If people offer to bring you lunch/milk/meals for the freezer/to make you a cup of tea, make sure you accept. If people don’t offer, but suggest coming over to see the baby, ask them if on their way they can pick up some lunch. People are usually happy to help.
  5. Go to bed early. It’s tempting to stay up so you get time with your partner once they are home from work, but we both soon realised my sleep was more important. Once the baby is asleep in the evening, go to bed. The newborn phase doesn’t last for long and you just need to survive.

How did you survive the first couple of months with a newborn?

MaternityMondays
Best of Worst

1. January 16, 2017 / 10:51 am

Great tips, i’m attempting to follow them all at the moment. Although…i take issue with the cakes and biscuits thing!! They aree my saviours in the long tired days! Don’t take them away from me!!! (Although yes i do then eat healthily around them!). #bigpinklink

January 16, 2017 / 11:34 am

It’s fine to have them. We all need a treat! I’m just trying to make sure they aren’t the only thing I eat! 🙂

2. January 16, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Brilliant ideas here. Such a tough but rewarding time – we need all the help we can get! xx

January 20, 2017 / 10:44 am

Yep, we definitely need all the help we can get. Thanks for reading! x

3. January 16, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I used to go to bed from 7-10 when I had my first, when my husband came in from work and he then either put the baby next to me in our room or woke me up for the night shift. I didn’t do it as much with number 2 but it does help so may adopt it for number 3. I don’t think I ate much at all with either of them. It is a trying time and I’ve got to do it all again!! Thanks for linking up #MaternityMondays

January 20, 2017 / 10:46 am

That’s a brilliant idea. I should try that. I’m enjoying having a couple of hours with my husband in the evening, but I need to prioritise sleep! You should definitely do it with number 3!

4. January 16, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Great tips my youngest is just over 2 weeks old and its it so tough!! I definitely struggle with asking for help too! #maternitymatters

January 20, 2017 / 10:47 am

I struggled with asking for help at first, but I’ve become better at it! Hope all is going well. The first few weeks are tough, but it does get easier—in some ways 🙂

January 20, 2017 / 10:47 am

Thanks for reading!

5. thismumslife
    January 17, 2017 / 6:43 am

These are really good tips!! Some that I really wish I’d made use of when mine were very little! I was rubbish at eating at all-I put it to the bottom of the pile every time! And obviously, with constant low blood sugars and feeling weak, it did nothing for my mood! I was terrible at asking for help too, which is silly, because I know plenty of people would’ve helped me with no problems! I’d probably say to go to as many antenatal groups as possible-you can never have too many mum friends!
    Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink!

January 20, 2017 / 10:49 am

Yes, going to loads of antenatal groups is a great tip! I’ve been making more of an effort with that and it makes the day go a lot faster.

6. January 20, 2017 / 11:00 am

Great tips! Especially the one about asking for help! So important. In the days of old everyone would rally around and now new mums are expected to do it all. Bite the hands of anyone who offers to help for sure! #bigpinklink

January 20, 2017 / 11:09 am

I know! My grandma-in-law (is that a thing?) was telling me that despite a completely normal birth, she stayed in the ‘maternity home’ for 2 weeks to recover while the midwives helped with looking after the baby. I can’t decide if that sounds amazing or like hell haha

7. January 20, 2017 / 12:41 pm

All great advice which I will definitely take into account when the time comes. #MaternityMondays

8. January 21, 2017 / 2:53 pm

Great advice! I think it’s important to eat well & nap, a proper quality sleep just doesn’t happen #MaternityMondays

January 21, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Agreed! I need to nap more really. It’s easier said than done. Thanks for reading.

9. January 21, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Great top tips. I have two children and whilst they were both infants my wife was always early to bed to get a few extra hours of sleep. I had to be out the door at 8am during the week, but I would get up at 5am and tend to the baby so that she got 3 solid hours of sleep in the morning. She said this always helped to give her a boost in the morning. #BigPinkLink

January 21, 2017 / 8:36 pm

That’s a great idea. It’s amazing how much a few hours sleep can help! Thanks for reading.

10. February 1, 2017 / 10:14 am

Great tips and advice! I think eating healthy and getting out of the house were musts for me when my children were little! And also accepting help 🙂 Great post. #Bestandworst

11. February 1, 2017 / 10:51 am

Absolutely NAP!! And accept help – this one took me a while to learn but I got it on the end!#bestandworst

12. February 1, 2017 / 2:22 pm

I’m about to be a new mum for the third time – it’s going to be interesting with two to look after already! #bestandworst

February 1, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Eek! Good luck! It’ll be fine

13. February 1, 2017 / 11:21 pm

Eating and sleeping well are so important, though it can be temping to cut corners. #Bestandworst

14. February 7, 2017 / 8:10 am

Some really great tips, I napped a lot with my 1st but found it tricky to when my 2nd came along. I also think accepting help when offered is a very useful thing to do. Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst hope you’ll stop by again tomorrow 🙂