Eating well as a new mum

Now I’m a mum I’ve started thinking more about the food I eat and where it comes from. I attempt to eat as well as I can, which is difficult with a baby—but is something that’s incredibly important when you are surviving on little sleep. I’m paranoid about getting run down and ill—especially with all the nutrients Jacob is sucking from me by breastfeeding—so having a good diet will hopefully help. I also want to set a good example to Jacob—he’s a bit small to notice yet, but it’s best to start as you mean to go on!

img_2980

Medium Very Veggie box

I’ve been wanting to try Abel and Cole’s organic boxes for a while, and finally got round to it a few weeks ago.

I ordered the Medium Very Veggie Veg box. It costs £16.50 plus delivery and gives you 8 types of seasonal veg. Abel and Cole do a variety of boxes in differing sizes and combinations (fruit and veg, veg only or fruit only). We had loads of fruit that week already, so I went with veg only.

When the first box turned up I was thrilled. A nicely packaged box, jam-packed with beautiful, colourful vegetables. The variety was amazing and the quality was incredible. Everything was so fresh and tasted much better than supermarket veg. It will be great once Jacob is weaning too.

In the 4 boxes I’ve ordered so far we’ve had red kale (didn’t know that existed), green kale, green cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, cylindrical beetroot (again, didn’t know it existed), butternut squash, carrots, and parsnips among others. I’m loving that it really makes me think about what to cook instead of just making the same old things again and again. As the weeks go on, I’ll try to share some of the new recipes I’m trying using my veggies.

You can log onto your account on the website to see what’s coming in the next box. There’s an option of swapping if there’s something you don’t fancy. For example, one week I swapped out tomatoes, because we already had some left, and got some Brussels sprouts instead.

Another great thing is the recyclable packaging. You can leave it outside your front door and the delivery driver will collect it when they deliver your next box. It’s all so easy.

New mum tip! They also deliver milk! I realised we would run out of milk over the weekend, so just added some to my order. I’m definitely a convert.

*This post contains affiliate links.

Mummuddlingthrough
The Pramshed

1. January 12, 2017 / 1:00 pm

As much as I would have liked to live off of crap, booze and coffee it real does make a crazy good difference in those initial months and food truly is fuel.

#coolmumsclub

January 12, 2017 / 7:15 pm

It’s not easy at times but I am trying my best! Think it definitely helps.

2. January 12, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Amazing…I used to have a veg box when Tigs was a toddler and she was super cute unpacking it each week. One day I’ll reinstate it! Sad times when you have to cancel your organic veg box! #firstworldproblems 😉
    Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub

January 13, 2017 / 7:12 am

I imagine towards the end of mat leave I’ll have to cancel too 🙁 I just love it so much!

3. January 13, 2017 / 2:11 am

I’ve always wanted to try one of these Veggir box things! Maybe when I’m back at work and we’re not poor, I might treat us to some healthy veg!
    I’m very interested to find some red kale, did it taste any different?
    #coolmumclub

January 13, 2017 / 7:08 am

Thanks for reading! The veg box is my one luxury at the moment! Red kale actually didn’t really taste any different but it was delicious, and it was definitely more purple than red—the name is misleading!

4. January 14, 2017 / 10:24 am

Those veg boxes do look fresh and appealing and having them arrive is more of an incentive to cook with them. #fortheloveofBLOG

January 20, 2017 / 10:41 am

Yes they definitely make me think more about what to cook and I’m less likely to order a takeaway because I don’t want to waste anything! Thanks for reading.

5. January 16, 2017 / 12:26 pm

This sounds fab and really helpful as a new parent. It’s so easy to put all of our energy into our children, but forget about ourselves in the process. I love that they deliver milk too, we are always running out now that my eldest drinks it! Thankyou so much for linking up to #Blogstravaganza, it would be great to see you again next week xx

6. January 17, 2017 / 9:16 pm

I love love love Abel and Cole boxes. You have to try the pumpkin gnochetti. It is divine, fry it in some honey and cinnamon. Unfortunately they dont deliver to our new house yet 🙁 Thanks for linking up with #fortheloveofBLOG